Fighting communicable and neglected diseases
Building and strengthening capacities for fighting Buruli ulcer through training, awareness and research
I would like to tell everyone with the same symptoms to go to hospital as soon as possible to prevent disability.
Thérèse treated for Buruli ulcer in the Akonolinga hospital
It is a disease like others and can be cured. So let’s treat it and cure people! The sooner we take care of it, the more likely patients are to get over it without any lasting consequences.
Dr. Noumena Djeunga, Medical Director of the hospital in Bankim
Excerpts from the film "Night of Fire: Buruli ulcer, between science and belief", directed by Joseph Fumtim, co-produced by the IRD, the Centre Pasteur of Cameroon and the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
|Location of Project
||Cameroon, districts of Ayos and Akonolinga (Centre), Bankim (Adamawa) and Mbongue (Southwest)
|Name of Association
|Addressing the Millennium Development Goals
(financial and operational)
- Centre Pasteur in Cameroon
- International Network of Pasteur Institutes
- Study Group on Host-Pathogen Interactions,
- National Program against Buruli ulcer, Cameroon Department of Public Health
This project aims to improve the prevention, screening, and diagnosis of Buruli ulcer
in Cameroon and neighboring countries.
This project is focused on:
- Training f laboratory staff and community health workers:
- a) at regional level, by training reference laboratory staff in endemic countries in Africa about the microbiological confirmation of diagnoses.
- b) at national level, by training health personnel in clinical diagnosis and techniques of biological sampling for microbiological confirmation.
- Awareness raising in endemic areas:
- a) Awareness of the risk factors of infection by M. ulcerans, the mycobacterium responsible for Buruli ulcer, and of prevention methods identified in epidemiological surveys (e.g. wearing long clothing during farm activities, cleaning wounds with soap and using mosquito nets).
- b) Awareness of how to identify Buruli ulcer type lesions, so people will quickly get medical help if a lesion is suspicious.
- Applied research into the existence of the domestic transmission of M. ulcerans including an assessment of the relevance of mosquito nets as a means of protection.